Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shopping IS Family Time

If you drag your family with you…

Tip Of The Day: Get a jump-start on the weekend sales and store openings. I’ll tell you where to go (and it’s not to Hell. Because YOU are FABULOUS.).

Tip For Tomorrow: We gotta get out of this place. If it’s the last thing we ever do. In other words, it’s road trip time! Here are some snack ideas to make the trip tasty and cheap.

Further Elucidation Of My Cheap Deal: I’m going to Chicago this weekend to see my Piglet for his first birthday. So I can’t go shopping at ANY of the awesome places listed below. Therefore, I’m entrusting you, my beloved readers, to pick up my slack and shop your booties off. Do you think you can handle it? I know it’s a lot to ask of you. But somebody has to keep our economy afloat.

Sales Alert: This one is for the boys. JC Penney’s is having a sale in their Men’s Store (which is just a fancy name for the men’s department, but whatever) this weekend. If you are NOT a man (like me), you can still get a deal at Penney’s. According to their ad, the rest of us can save up to an extra 20% until Sunday, March 16th on already marked-down items.
Go here for more information:
http://jcpenney.shoplocal.com/jcpenney/default.aspx?action=entryflash&adref=jcpenney&JCPReturnURL=http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/default.aspx&JCPID=6daa665f4bf9c4ec88cf1716087246176xMnVNoVza1WxMnVNoVza1o200BD3A4595FA1382A020E60C4321B2D2AF30807315.
Shopping Tip: This one comes from Dan in Shakopee. He says that when a retail store offers you a percentage off for using your store credit card (like Penney’s), go ahead and charge it. Then ask if you can make a payment on your card right there at the store. Worst case scenario, your check pays the bill before the charge hits your account, and you have a credit on your credit card. Sweet idea, Dan!

Kohl’s is having a Grand Opening Sale from today, the 13th, until March 22nd. I have no idea where the new store is located – it’s not mentioned in the ad – but who cares? You can save up to 50% on stuff, plus they still have winter clearance items available at 80% off. Which is just another way of saying FREE.
Here is their ad info:
http://kohls.shoplocal.com/kohls/default.aspx?action=entry&pretailerid=-99848&siteid=181&adref=frombuyonline&storeID=2396298.

Speaking of Grand Openings, the Goodwill has a new store opening in Stillwater this weekend. But if you live in Minneapolis or the western suburbs, never fear. You don’t actually have to cross the river to save money. All 15 Goodwill stores in the TC, Rochester, St. Cloud and Willmar will be having a MASSIVE sale the 15th and 16th.
We’re talking 25% off the entire store on Saturday, and 50% Red Tag merchandise on Sunday. You can also register to win a travel voucher for $1,250 from Hobbit Travel – and FREE travel is BEST.
Check out their web site for details:
http://www.goodwilleasterseals.org/site/Calendar?view=Detail&id=105061.

If you are in the area (the eastern suburbs) and you’re feeling thrifty, don’t miss out on NEXT 2 NEW in Oakdale. This new-ish store opened in January, and they run coupons in the local papers and have daily in-store specials. I love it when thrift stores have sales – what can be better than inexpensive items marked down EVEN MORE. Answer? NOTHING.
You’ll find NEXT 2 NEW at:
1183 Geneva Ave. (aka Century Ave)
(651) 255-4323

Okay, folks, I’m counting on you. Get out there and shop! And when you’ve finished pumping money into our economy, stop by one of the fabulous St. Paddy’s Day parties I talked about in “They’re Magically Delicious” (see below – the one with the dancing Leprechaun). I’ll return next week to do my part. Promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you already did your part in helping to support our thrift economy by taking me shopping to Savers last eventide. And even though you bought nothing, I bought something, and that off-sets your buying nothing. Or something. Anything. You know?

And I got a DEAL on those almost new Riedell figure skates for $15.00 - they retail at $225! And I love my $3.99 Dress Barn Blazer/cardigan. Just the thing for spring.

Give the Piglet a big smooch for me. Smooching babies is such a wonderful pasttime.

(And I don't care what you say, Leprechauns still creep me out.)

Michelle said...

Wow... the sales at Kohl's sound too good to pass up. I love their 80% off clearance sales.

Have fun in Chicago! Congrats on your weekly segment on Fox 9 that is too cool! :)