Saturday, February 2, 2008

Compare and Contrast


Tip Of The Day: Here we are now, going to the east side. Fun Sisters in Stillwater, is it as fun as Minneapolis? According to the hordes of happy shoppers I encountered today, yes it is.

Tip For Monday: LISTS. OF STUFF. STUFF YOU KEEP ASKING ME ABOUT. Next week, it’s all lists, all the time – consignment shops, thrift stores, free stuff to do in the TC, etc. If you want a list of something, put in your requests now. Just keep it clean, folks. This is a family blog.

Further Elucidation Of My Cheap Deal: Today I braved the cold and snow to go shopping in Stillwater. Granted, I live on the east side of the Cities, so it wasn’t that big of a hardship. But still! I traveled through inclement weather, just to tell all y’all about a cool store! And to buy stuff for me, of course. I’m not THAT altruistic.

Fun Sisters in Stillwater is located in what my friend Tif describes as an ‘old Taco Bell.’ To me, it looked more like a Pizza Hut. Mmm, pizza. Curb appeal be damned, though. It’s what’s on the inside that counts. And there are plenty of goodies to make up for the snowy drive and the less-than-desirable exterior.

Like the store in Minneapolis, you will find walls (WALLS, people!) of purses, ranging from faux Coach (Foach) to faux Kate Spade (Fade). Also like the Mpls store, you’ll find sparkly necklaces, earrings, bracelets, watches, sunglasses and rings. Like the ring I bought (see above). Isn’t it cute? And SHINY? And it was only $18, plus 10% off. Tif bought 3 necklaces, also for 10% off.

There is the table o’ wallets, like the one you’d find at the Mpls store. Faced with all that wallet-y goodness, I finally broke down and bought one (see above). It’s the buckle that did me in – so cute! And it was a mere $18.

However, unlike the Mpls store, you don’t have to go to the Annex down the street to find scarves, shawls, footwear and sweatshirts. All the pretty things are under one convenient roof, including those sweater boot thingys that Oprah touted on one of her shows. The Fun Sisters boots, though, are only $26 plus 35% off – not $120 like they are at Nordstrom’s.

Are you noticing a trend here? ‘This percent off, that percent off’ – am I ringing any bells yet? I should be, because the bell I’m bonging is the joyful ‘I’m On Sale’ bell. Fun Sisters takes their ridiculously low priced items and puts them on sale. SALE. At that point, it’s like they’re paying you to shop there.

This week, all jewelry is 10% off, the sweater boots are 35% off, Kate Spade ‘Fade’ purses are 15% off, and select scarves are 25% off. Don’t the savings sound good? And righteous? And pure? Like you’re doing a holy act by shopping there? Okay, yes, I’m trying to give you a reason to shop on Sunday, before the Stillwater store closes for the month.

I’d go if I were you. I’m me, and I already went. Hmm. That sounded better in my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love a good Foach. I used to work with Fartans, you know.

Ah. Accessories. They are a beautiful thing.