Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Two-fer Tuesday, The Beginning


Tip Of The Day: Blog post in the first part – A companion piece to my Fox 9 News at 5 segment about the Farmers’ Markets in the Twin Cities.

Tip For Later Today: My newest shiny object, and why I’m obsessed with it, and where you can get one for your very own.

Further Elucidation Of My Cheap Deal: In my continued quest for Total Media Domination, I am reminding you, my fearless readers, YET AGAIN about my weekly segment on Tuesdays at 5:15 PM on Fox 9. This week’s segment is about the Minneapolis and St. Paul Farmers’ Markets.

Personally, I prefer the Mpls one – because I know almost every vendor there. Ma and I have been going to that Market for the past 10 years, on Saturday mornings at around 7:30 AM. And you get to know people when you’ve seen them that many times. Unless you are a total introvert, which CLEARLY I am not.

The only downside? They all must think I am the skuzziest dresser with bad hair and a lack of basic make-up skills. I am simply NOT CUTE that early in the morning. It takes time to look this good, folks.

Speaking of the Mpls Vendors, here’s the lowdown on my absolute faves:

1. Eichten’s Hidden Acres for cheese and bison meat.
2. Mrs. Kelly’s Tea for, well, tea. I love these people – and their teas are awesome, too.
3. Tollefson’s for pork products. Pork fat may rule, but Tollefson’s sausages are more meat, less fat and filling. And that would be a good thing.
4. Fireside Orchard and Gardens – cutest man selling apples, EVER.
5. Dunlaoghaire Soaps for their rose soap and unscented soap. Oh heck, all their soaps rock.
6. Great Harvest Bread Co. for cookies, mini-apple bundles, and other yummy baked goods.

Over in St. Paul, I love the Blue Heron Soap Company. You can also check out their wares at the State Fair and the Ren Fest.

You’re probably dying to go to a Farmer’s Market RIGHT THIS MINUTE, RAIN BE DAMNED. But how does one learn about the different markets, hours, locations, months of operation, etc?

If only there was a comprehensive web site where you could find out all this information…

Well, there is. Here you go:
http://www.mfma.org/mfma_members.htm. And don’t say I never did you any favors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I personally am fond of the Richfield and Hopkins Farmers Markets. ALSO! Marti Nelson, Potter, is at the Hopkins one and she is FAB.